Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Breakfast Enchiladas

I wanted to make something savory for my family today for breakfast. They have gotten so many sweet things this last couple of weeks, they didn't need any more of that for breakfast again. Now don't get me wrong... just because these aren't sweet doesn't mean these are low calorie! I used link sausage (that's what I had) that I snipped into 1/4" rounds, but you could use bulk sausage and make it easier! I measured the milk into my pyrex measuring cup and nuked it for a minute. I find that if you add warmed liquid to your roux, it blends in much faster and it doesn't seize up like an engine out of grease! I used a mexican blend preshredded cheese (don't tell Nathan... he hates the preshredded stuff ;-) but it was on sale and SOOOO convenient!), feel free to use whatever cheese you want! Everyone really enjoyed this dish, I will be making it again, but be forwarned it isn't something you whip up in 10 minutes!


Breakfast Casserole


20 corn tortillas

1 lb sausage

1 dozen eggs

1/2 C water

1/3 C butter

1/3 C flour

2 C milk, warmed

1 tsp salt

1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies

3 C mexican blend cheese, divided

1 1/2 - 2 cups of milk

Brown your sausage and in a separate saucepan make your roux. Melt the butter, add the flour and whisk for a couple of minutes to cook the raw taste out of the flour. Add the milk and salt and whisk until smooth. Stir in the green chilies and 2 cups of cheese. When the sausage is browned, remove from pan and drain drippings. Whisk your eggs and water and scramble them until they are cooked but still a little wet. Add 1 C of the roux, and the sausage and mix well. Thin the roux down with the additional milk until it is the consistency you want to pour over the enchiladas. Warm the corn tortillas on a non stick pan or griddle. Place a spoonful of the egg mixture down the middle and roll up. Place seam side down on a lined jelly roll pan (for easy clean up!) Make 2 rows of 10. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes

No comments: