Sunday, December 27, 2009

French Toast Casserole

Who wants to spend Christmas morning cooking breakfast? Not I! I want to relish in the morning watching the kids play with their new toys (and the adults too!) I have made this casserole for more years than I can remember. It is assembled the night before. Then in the morning, after a brief stint on the counter is popped into the oven and while presents are being opened, breakfast is cooking itself! This year I did fry up some sausage links to go with it. I have made this with bulk sausage and added it into the casserole before the second layer of bread goes on. I have a shaker of cinnamon sugar that I keep on hand anytime someone wants some cinnamon toast. I don't really know how much of it I really use... just eyeball it and when it looks good to you it will be good!

French Toast Casserole

1 loaf french bread cut in 1" cubes
8 eggs
3 C milk
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp salt
4 T butter, melted
6 T sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

In a blender, combine eggs, milk, 4 tsp sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix 6 T sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in a greased 9X13 pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar. Place remaining bread cubes in pan and evenly pour on egg mixture. You may want to press down any dry pieces of bread so everything is evenly moistened. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle on remaining cinnamon sugar and drizzle with butter. Cover and bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with Maple Syrup

No comments: